Ideologue Cory Wilson Should Not Be Confirmed as a Federal Judge
Washington, D.C., November 18, 2019 – Alliance for Justice today released a report on the record of Cory Wilson, President Donald Trump’s nominee for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi. AFJ President Nan Aron released the following statement in opposition to his nomination:
“Cory Wilson cannot be trusted to be a fair judge. He has seemingly never heard a right-wing talking point or conspiracy theory that he hasn’t embraced, and he has shown an obvious personal bias against people who do not share his beliefs. This is evident not only in his opposition to reproductive freedom, LGBTQ equality, and health care for all Mississippians, but also in his brash attacks on anyone aligned with the Democratic Party or liberal ideas. His belief that the Affordable Care Act should be invalidated because it passed on a party-line vote should be disqualifying in and of itself. The people of Mississippi deserve a jurist who will uphold the rule of law — not one who takes his cues from Fox News.”
AFJ reports that:
- Wilson has repeatedly called for the Affordable Care Act to be overturned, calling it a “redistribution of wealth and power,” and he opposed expanding Medicaid in Mississippi, which has deprived 100,000 Mississippians of critical health coverage.
- Wilson supports overturning Roe v. Wade and has advocated for passage of anti-abortion legislation, including “heartbeat bills” and “fetal pain bills.”
- Wilson called marriage equality “wrong, or at least a marked departure from a few thousand years of social order,” and further claimed it was a scheme to demonize conservatives as bigots. He also voted for Mississippi’s HB 1523, which created a license to discriminate against LGBTQ people and those who have had sex outside of marriage.
- Wilson supports measures to restrict minority voting, including voter roll purges and voter ID requirements, which he falsely claimed are “part of ensuring cleaner elections.”
- Wilson has used social media and op-eds to repeatedly attack those with more liberal beliefs, claiming that an “intellectually honest Democrat” is a “rare sighting” and “exotic creature,” accusing President Obama of running the “most paranoid and politicized White House since Nixon’s,” and calling Secretary of State Hillary Clinton “criminal and clueless” over the trumped up claims about her emails.