Alliance for Justice (AFJ) is seeking a counsel with 5+ years of experience to lead the launch and implementation of an initiative to identify, recruit, and coach candidates for seats on the federal bench. The successful applicant for this position will lead the new initiative to assemble a roster of highly-qualified candidates to put forward for the next administration to consider for judicial nominations, as well as a complementary and coordinated campaign to highlight the importance of filling vacancies.
The position will entail the following:
- Set strategy, identify geographic priorities, and develop work plan for the Initiative;
- Develop roster of vacancies and identify and research potential qualified candidates;
- Oversee research of potential candidates, including coordination with law firms, outside counsel, law students, and non-attorney volunteers;
- Draft, review, and edit collateral materials for the new Building the Bench initiative, including fact sheets, blogs, web presence, and reports;
- Coordinate and staff key meetings with Congressional offices;
- Advise the Legal Director and AFJ President, and work with other Justice department staff, on all aspects of the Initiative;
- Assist Director of Communications in developing press and social media presence around the Initiative;
- Work with Outreach and other departments to build relationships with legal and allied organizations, and AFJ’s networks of attorneys and legal community leaders, as sources of referrals or potential candidates;
- Speak at legal and policy conferences, and brief academics, Congressional staff, Board of Directors, member organizations, and other audiences;
- Work with Development and Executive staff to ensure sufficient funding for the Initiative and serve as lead liaison with the Initiative’s Leadership Circle; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- J.D. and 5+ years of experience in legal policy or advocacy work;
- Exceptional analytical, writing, and speaking skills;
- Experience in civil rights, labor, consumer and/or constitutional law preferred;
- Strong networking experience with progressive coalitions;
- Ability to work quickly under pressure, with shifting deadlines and priorities;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Long hours and some travel required;
- Ability to inspire and work collegially with others; and
- Strong interpersonal skills and positive attitude.
The range for this position is $75,000-$105,000. AFJ provides a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance plan such as medical, prescription, optional dental, flexible spending account and life and disability insurance, as well as commuter benefit and retirement programs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so.
General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants please reference Counsel, Building the Bench Initiative in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, resume and writing sample to Alicia Peyton at [email protected] or apply by clicking below.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
AFJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AFJ prohibits discrimination against its employees and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, sero-status and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program.
Disclaimer: This description is intended to provide an overview of this position and is not all inclusive. The incumbent in this position will be expected to perform other duties as required. Responsibilities may change over time. This description is provided for informational purposes only and does not form the basis of a contract.